A Breakdown of our Engraving
Nothing makes a gift more personal than customized engraving. Not only does the recipient feel valued and special, but engraving adds context for future generations that come across treasures passed down in families.
Silver Superstore is proud to offer this silver engraving to our customers, and we wanted to pull back the curtain and share what goes into this process that turns any ordinary gift into an extraordinary one.
There are two techniques for enhancing gifts with a personal touch.
This most traditional of methods, also known as scratch engraving, utilizes a spindle and a diamond-tipped cutting tool. The conical diamond bit rotates if the spindle motor is activated. The motor is not required, however; a non rotating diamond bit may simply be dragged over the engraving surface to create the impression. Usually, both techniques are employed. Clamps and jigs are used to hold the engraving surface in place and prevent slippage.
When done with expertise, diamond-drag resembles hand-engraving. The width and depth of the strokes are consistent.
Thanks to modern technology, this type of engraving is faster, easier and more precise than ever. The image or text to be engraved is first entered into a computer software program. The program reads it and transmits the data to the engraving machine.
The diamond-drag method is best for coated or uncoated metals. It may also be used on glass or crystal gifts. It’s the best choice for simple text, logos or graphics.
This method has many advantages:
- Although it’s not as versatile as laser engraving, the impression is deeper for elegant, high-end appeal.
- Lettering and design markings are thin and uniform with strokes no wider than 0.1 millimeter.
- It looks and feels like hand-engraving.
- The engraving equipment absorbs vibrations to ensure quality, and the result is long-lasting.
Unlike the diamond-drag method, laser engraving is noncontact. No physical force is applied to the engraving surface.
Instead, highly concentrated light beams remove glass, crystal, stone, tile, wood, plated metals or other materials to create the engravings. In the case of metals, a marking compound combined with the heat of the laser leaves a permanent mark.
There are several benefits to laser engraving:
- It is suitable for a wider variety of materials than diamond-drag engraving.
- It’s ideal for graphics or photographs on raster, bitmap or JPEG files.
- It can capture intricate designs and fine details.
- It is permanent.
The Perfect Gift for a Special Someone
Our gifts and collectibles, for every occasion from Christmas to college graduation to the arrival of a new baby, come in a diverse assortment of materials.
We can engrave brass, sterling silver, silver plate, stainless steel, pewter, crystal, glass, gold and copper. Whatever gift you have in mind, we can make it as unique and memorable as you envision it.
If you need ideas, scroll through the extensive list of items available for engraving below. Then, just choose the typeface that you prefer.
- Picture frames
- Porringers and bowls
- Brush and comb sets
- Tooth and curl boxes
- Baptismal shells
- Christmas ornaments
For kitchen and dining:
- Flatware and serving utensils in stainless steel, sterling silver or silver plate
- Nameplates for flatware chests
- Charger plates
- Napkin rings
- Serving trays, platters and Revere bowls
For the bar:
- Mint julep cups Moscow mule mugs, stemware, beer mugs, tankards and flasks
- Copper barware
- Cocktail shakers
- Crystal decanters and other crystal barware
- Card cases
- Pocket knives
- Letter openers
- Purse compacts
- Keepsake boxes
- Money clips
We also offer several styles of engravable Gift Tags.
Any gift is more special when you add the personal touch of engraving. Use a little imagination, and your loved one will cherish your thoughtful keepsake for years to come.